Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Spice Isle, Pt II - Planned Exploration





Young St. - St. George's Town
Most of my research and planning for our trip to Grenada revolved around the 3 days I planned to drive around the island. Initially I planned to spend one day exploring the north end, one day for the central region and the third day touring the southern region. Grenada is not that big, however the list I accrued for the first and second days was very ambitious. When I posted it on the TA forum for Grenada I was advised to scale it back. The northeast of the island has an abundance of attractions that seems nearly impossible to visit all in one day.  

 

River Sallee Boiling Springs mudbath
 

In the end I decided on the first day we would try to visit Clabony Hot Springs, River Antoine Distillery, have lunch at Belmont Estate and play the rest by ear as I was interested in also visiting Pearls Airport, Bathway Beach, Lavera Beach and Pond, Lake Antoine and River Sallee Boiling Springs.
 


Lake Antoine - 1 of 2 crater lakes in Grenada


 

Lowest of the Seven Sisters Falls
Abandoned Russian aircraft at Pearls Airport
I reserved day two for the hike to Seven Sisters waterfall as I had read it can take a long time to hike down to it and even longer if you decide to hike upstream from the falls. I read several accounts of people who had been to the falls and climbed to the top only to find once you entered the falls, the only way down was to jump from one pool to the next. I particular, I read a blog entry on Zero to Cruising in which this was mentioned. Climbing doesn’t bother me, but jumping down the falls is not something I would entertain – it is too risky; if you land the wrong way it is like landing on concrete and good luck getting medical help in the middle of the rainforest, not to mention it would ruin your vacation. So I asked about hiking up and back on the Zero to Cruising blog site and was told it is possible. Based on that, I planned for us to visit Grand Etang, hike all of Seven Sisters Falls and time permitting check out Annandale Falls.

 
Orchids at Belmont Estate
Day three was to consist of a visit to Royal Mount Carmel Falls, La Sagesse Beach and Nature Reserve, where we would have lunch and go swimming and possibly snorkeling. And we would end the day in St George’s at Fort Matthew for drinks at the bar while we took in the sunset. In the final days leading up to our arrival, I read several more reviews of La Sagesse and I heard from a Trip Advisor friend who advised La Sagesse was ok but not a must and the restaurant was a bit pricey. Botanical Gardens are always interesting and great for photography, so I decided we would visit Jessamine Eden rather than La Sagesse. From the description on the website and the reviews, Jessamine Eden sounded quite special and worthy of spending some significant time exploring. http://www.jessamine-eden.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment